: Instrumentation and Controls Engineer (I&C Engineer) will analyze user requirements and the design of process and/or mechanical equipment to design automation systems that will cause the equipment to function in the desired manner.
include the following and other duties may be assigned.
I&C Engineers analyze user requirements, procedures, and problems to identify the system components and develop the design and functional specifications for the automation systems. They are responsible for the interface between the hardware and software development for the automation system.
The I&C Engineer is responsible for designing, developing, installing, managing and/or maintaining equipment which is used to monitor and control engineering systems, machinery and processes.
I&C engineers ensure that these systems and processes operate effectively, efficiently and safely.
I&C engineers need a thorough understanding of the operational processes of an organization. They have a multidisciplinary role, working closely with colleagues across a number of functions, including operations, purchasing and design.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
I&C Engineers develop skills in specific control disciplines such as advanced process control (APC), distributed control systems (DCS), programmable logic controllers (PLC), and supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA). The use of these disciplines will depend on the exact nature of individual job roles.
In general however, tasks and responsibilities can include:
? designing and developing new control systems
? specifying instruments and equipment to meet design requirements
? testing, maintaining and modifying existing systems
? analyzing data and presenting findings in written reports
? managing operations
? working collaboratively with design engineers, operation engineers, purchasers and other internal staff
? liaising with clients, suppliers, contractors and relevant authorities
? project management within cost and time constrained environments
? troubleshooting and problem-solving
? understanding and ensuring compliance with the health and safety regulations and quality standards
? providing advice and consultancy support
? purchasing equipment
? writing computer software and test procedures
? developing new business proposals
? accepting responsibility and a level of accountability that is proportionate to the seniority of the position
Specific Knowledge & Skills
Education and/or Experience
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills concerning PLC functions and integrated controls equipment
- Ability to set priorities, to be self-disciplined and consistent
- Good written and oral communications skills
- Ability to develop and implement action steps and follow-through with the people responsible for them
- Ability to work effectively individually or within a group.
- Computer literacy in MS Office and AutoCAD (preferable AutoCAD Electrical)
- Ability to develop and implement process improvement solutions.
- Ability to develop programming functional specifications and coordinate with system integrators.
- Wonderware is not a requirement but is strongly preferred.
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering Degree, or completion of at least two years post-secondary education, formal training in electrical theory, industrial controls, and a minimum of ten years' experience in a similar industry
- Five to ten years hands on experience designing, programming, installing, de-bugging and maintaining PLC based control systems.
- Experience with Allen Bradley ControlLogix systems is preferred.