Search for More Jobs
Forward this job to a friend
Apply by email without Registering
Apply by creating/using account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
MEDICAL LAB SCIENTIST
Coordinate and participate in a variety of complex technical tasks in the performance of laboratory tests to obtain data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
• Coordinate and participate in the performance and interpretation of complex technical duties in support of medical laboratory testing; record determinations and results for review by laboratory management and physician/caregiver staff.
• Participate in specimen collection when required according to test requested, either directly by venipuncture or skin puncture; maintain responsibility for patient identification, specimen labeling and collection verification, or instructing patients or other healthcare providers in collection and preservation techniques for urine, sputum, stool, scrapings, autologous/directed donations, or other specimens for analysis.
• Set up, evaluate and operate current and new equipment, instruments and apparatus required for specific laboratory tests and assume adequate responsibility to maintain operations including preventive maintenance.
• Coordinate the preparation and quality assurance of culture media, chemicals, reagents, stains and solutions as appropriate.
• Evaluate collected laboratory data and prepare reports assessing accuracy, completeness, timeliness, progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
• Participate in the development of new medical laboratory procedures and techniques
• Provide technical guidance and instruction to students, interns, residents, staff and other employees
• Participate in the development and implementation of clinical evaluations.
• Act as a person in charge (PIC) as well as a resource person/role model, as per guidelines determined by laboratory management. Monitor Quality Control, Quality Assurance, Safety and Infection Control practices to assure compliance with internal and external regulations.
• Maintain sufficient inventory of material supplies and equipment for performance of duties; clean and maintain standard laboratory equipment.
• Monitor workflow, assessment of staffing levels and reassignment as needed.
• Follow up to ensure work is completed.
• Utilize various laboratory and hospital information systems and software.
• Communicate in a professional and courteous manner with patients, family and other medical personnel as necessary to obtain information for laboratory records, explain procedures, clarify orders and communicate status.
• Interact courteously with doctors, nurses and health unit coordinators (HUC) and other healthcare providers when answering questions or providing other information about a patient's results.
• Participate in lab inspections and work with inspectors as needed.
• Provide advanced problem solving, troubleshooting, interpretation/consultation, verification of specimen quality and test results.
• Perform related duties incidental to the work described herein.
• BS degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Biological Science or related field is required. Generalist certification required for General labs.
• MLS Generalist Certification/Specialty certification required for specialty labs.
Act as the General Supervisor in the absence of the Supervisor/Manager/Tech III after attaining 1 yr of high complexity laboratory experience post scientific baccalaureate degree or 2 years high complexity experience post scientific associate degree.
Provide daily supervision and/or oversight of the laboratory operation and personnel performing testing and reporting test results.
Provide direct supervision of all high complexity testing.
Monitor testing to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained.
Responsibilities delegated from the director or technical supervisor include: Assure remedial action is taken and documented whenever tests systems deviate from established performance specifications
Ensure that patient testing results are not reported until corrective action has been taken and the test system is functioning properly
Apply by creating/using account