Search for More Jobs
Forward job to a friend
Apply by creating/using an account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
Cytogenetic Technologist II
Under direction of laboratory supervisor/manager/director, incumbent is responsible for efficient and accurate performance of difficult/complex cytogenetics laboratory testing, following established policies and procedures.
1. If job assignment includes tissue culture: Using SOPs, accurately and efficiently performs tissue culture of assigned specimen types, including culture initiation, maintenance, and harvest. Also performs slide preparation and staining for microscopic analysis.
2. If job assignment includes microscopic analysis: Performs accurate microscopic/post-microscopic analyses of assigned specimen types meeting or exceeding established productivity standards, applying additional staining/testing procedures when indicated, and preparing karyotypes using established cytogenetics laboratory procedures.
3. If job assignment includes fluorescence in situ hybridization: Using SOPs, accurately and efficiently processes assigned specimen types, including slide preparation, pretreatment, hybridization, postwash, and counterstain for microscopic analysis using appropriate quality control standards. Performs accurate microscopic/post-microscopic analyses of assigned specimen types meeting or exceeding established productivity and quality control standards.
4. Is responsible for the more difficult/complex laboratory testing activities and review of work of other technologists.
5. Documents and maintains tissue culture and/or microscopy analysis records completely and accurately. Documents chromosome or FISH abnormalities using correct ISCN nomenclature and best assessment of breakpoints.
6. Ensures accurate specimen processing/test results by strict adherence to testing methodology and quality standards
7. Possesses appropriate computer skills (AI, PC, CCAPS, Tandem, etc) to accomplish tasks.
8. Participates in quality assurance, quality control, and quality improvement programs.
9. Assists the supervisor in developing/validating new procedures in order to improve quality, efficiency, or accuracy. Participates in research, development, and implementation of new testing methodologies/modifications.
10. Participates in training of technologists and other laboratory personnel, including visiting students and fellows, as needed. Participates in modifying training checklists to reflect current laboratory procedures.
11. Qualifies as a substitute supervisor, and may act in this capacity if the supervisor is not available.
12. Attends departmental meetings, as appropriate, and participates in the department's continuing education program.
12. Maintains laboratory areas and equipment in a safe, functional, and sanitary condition.
13. Adheres to all established laboratory safety requirements.
14. Required to use (a) personal protective equipment, (b) engineering controls and/or (c) work practice controls as directed by management.
15. Performs other job-related duties as assigned by competent authority. Physical Demands Microscopic analysis requires extended periods of sitting at a microscope. Tissue culture requires extended periods of standing, sitting at a biohazard hood, or pipetting.
1. BS/BA or related degree in science .
2.Minimum of 4 years of previous cytogenetics experience (3 years as a cytogenetics technologist) or equivalent in a clinical cytogenetics laboratory.
Apply by creating/using an account