Search for More Jobs
Forward job to a friend
Apply by creating/using an account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK,
CULTURAL RESOURCES DIVISION
CULTURAL RESOURCES ARCHEOLOGY INTERNSHIP
(INTERN FOR 4 MONTHS)
Project Summary - The intern will assist the Everglades National Park (EVER) Archeologist in a broad range of archeological and historical projects in field, office and lab settings. These projects include, but are not limited to: archeological testing and excavation on the African American Experience at Long Pine Key archeological project, field archeological condition assessments at EVER, Dry Tortugas National Park (DRTO) and Biscayne National Park (BISC), archeological field inventories for park undertakings, assists with pre- and post-prescribed fire archeological assessments, organizing and updating EVER digital and hardcopy archeological site records.
Project Goals and Objectives –
Assist with the overall Cultural Resources Program of the parks while learning about cultural resource management practices, park organization, and park history of the Southern Florida national parks, and develop technical skills for archeological practice.
· Mentor the intern in gaining knowledge of the NPS mission and Cultural Resources Programs. Implementation of administrative and archeological skills and techniques by the intern, under the direction of the park mentor, to perform tasks associated with projects.
• Assists with archeological inventories including surface inspections and the excavation of 50cm diameter test pits with shovels, picks and trowels.
• Collects and processes GPS data for integration into Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
• Assists with test excavations of 1x1m and 2x2m as part of park archeological projects.
• Assists with data recovery employing block excavation methods as part of park archeological projects.
• Photo management– captures photography in the field, manages photo logs, downloads and organizes photos on the park's computer network.
• Assists with the collection and processing of photogrammetric data for 3D artifact, feature and site documentation.
• Provides administrative support for Cultural Resource Division Staff such as filing, copying, and scanning.
• Assists with archaeological fieldwork and compliance with the National Historic Preservation Act (Section 106) as requested.
• Compiles and submits program calendars and spreadsheets.
• Uses computer and appropriate software including Word, Excel, ArcGIS and Access for data collection/analysis/presentation, program scheduling, filing and documentation.
• Records archeological condition assessments in the NPS Cultural Resources Inventory System (CRIS).
• Reviews and documents EVER field equipment and office supply inventories.
• Completes trainings in CPR/First Aid, aviation safety, boating safety and wildfire behavior when available and schedule compatible.
• Create new content for social media.
• As needed, support Public Affairs work with the media, local community, and the Public outreach.
• Need to be comfortable talking and listening with enthusiasm, flexibility, tolerance, and patience--necessary traits in dealing with park visitors, media, and partners.
• Works with minimal direct supervision in office and lab settings. Displays reliability and responsibility.
• Works in all types of weather conditions including high heat and humidity.
• Red carded (Type II WLFF) interns will have the opportunity to assist with the EVER Fire program for prescribed burns, wildfires, and resource advising.
Place of Performance
Everglades National Park, Dry Tortugas National Park, Biscayne National Park
Apply by creating/using an account