Howard Systems International | 1.800.326.4860
Search for More Jobs
Forward this job to a friend
Apply by email without Registering
Apply by creating/using account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
Software Development Engineer - Open Source Project - North Shore of MA.
Come help our client build an industry leading game-changer with the their open source project. It is a community collaboration to develop an open source Library Services Platform designed for innovation. They're looking for a dynamic and creative Software Developer to work in key areas of the project developing software that we contribute to the community open source.
This position requires a results oriented individual and works directly with other development members, product owners and architects.
These members may include other client employees as well as partners and members of the open source community at large. The successful candidate will demonstrate and value the team's core principles of integrity, innovation, collaboration, and flexibility, and bring an eagerness to engage in rapidly developing the right solutions.
Develop applications and platform software for the open source platform. Client applications consist of business logic that performs a key library services function, for example resource management. The platform software development may include producing REST APIs that provide underlying services for the applications, for example security or single-sign-on. The software developer works with the rest of the development team(s) to implement the agreed upon features. The software development includes not only developing production quality code, but also writing the accompanying automated tests and builds that accompany it. The software development is carried out in an Agile team environment and the developer will follow standard Agile (and SAFe) best practices including attendance of team stand-up meetings, test driven development, and inspect & adapt cycles. The developer is responsible for checking in code regularly to Github and following best practices code review processes and other standard source code management practices.
• BSCS or related engineering field; advanced degrees a plus
• Minimum of 5 years of experience working on software development teams and high degree of familiarity with the agile software development process
• Familiarity with open source models for software development; experience contributing to an open source project is a plus
• Technical familiarity with modern elastic hosting environments and related critical performance parameters; specific AWS experience a plus
• Outstanding logical/structured analytical ability to effectively understand and decompose product requirements into detailed stories/specifications
• Self-motivated, detail oriented, responsible, strong collaboration skills
• Highly effective at working with remote colleagues, including across time zones and with varied cultural backgrounds
• Positive Attitude
• Good Judgement
• Open Communication
• Desire to Make an Impact
• Eager to Understand
• Team Player
• 5+ yrs Java & Object Oriented Design/Programming
• Implementation of 1 or more production RESTful interfaces in a microservices model
• 2+ yrs product implementation experience with databases, both SQL and NoSQL – PostgreSQL specifically is a plus
• 2+ yrs product implementation experience in a cloud computing environment – AWS specifically is a plus
• 3+ yrs experience using Agile and/or SAFe
• General HTTP knowledge, familiarity with cURL or similar tools is a plus
• Linux – general knowledge, shell scripting – RedHat/Amazon Linux specifically is a plus
• Virtualization – Docker, Vagrant, etc.
• Open Source Software – general knowledge SW dev model, experience contributing to
• CI/CD – Jenkins, Maven, etc.
• SCM - Git/GitHub
• RAML, JSON, XML
• Experience with test tools/frameworks
• Security related experience –SSO, OAUTH, SAML, LDAP, etc.
• Logging/Monitoring/Alerting/Analytics – SumoLogic, DataDog, Collectd, SNMP, JMX, etc.
Location is 45 minutes North of Boston, MA.
Apply by creating/using account