Search for More Jobs
Forward job to a friend
Apply without Registering
Apply by creating/using an account
Job Function Summary:
Involves managing or performing the administrative services or managing the full general operations of an academic or non-academic organization(s). Administrative services includes activities in finance and human resources and may also include IT, facilities, or student services. General management includes long and short range strategic planning in determining the mission and directing all activities of multi-disciplinary departments through subordinate management staff.
Regularly works on tasks that are varied and complex. Applies full range of specialized skills and job knowledge; frequently adapts procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and / or equipment to meet specialized needs; may serve as lead; performs broad and / or focused assignments under general supervision; originality and ingenuity are often required to help establish procedures in functional area; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks.
The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for providing executive level support to the Associate Vice Chancellor of Clinical & Translational Research (AVC-CTR). Duties include: complex scheduling and calendar management, priority setting for the AVC-CTR and interfacing with a wide range of internal and external partners (that may include faculty, staff, consultants, vendors, etc.), writing and editing correspondences, managing contact information and data for the program, identifying opportunities to improve administrative functioning and operations of the program, managing travel booking and expense reimbursements, meeting and event planning, working in a team to identify ways to organize and maintain electronic filing system of the unit, corresponding with Client facilities and Information Technology (IT) on behalf of the program and AVC-CTR, keeping record of and ordering supplies, generating specific reports as required, drafting and editing meeting minutes, and performing other various duties as assigned. The Administrative Assistant will apply professional concepts to conduct analytical administration with moderate scope and complexity. The Assistant analyzes and resolves operational problems of moderate scope. Additionally, the incumbent carries out matters relating to the executive administration of the AVC-CTR's desk and liaises with all of the AVC-CTR's direct reports and other senior campus leaders.
Under general direction, the Administrative Assistant works on operational and / or procedural assignments that require the exercise of considerable discretion and independent judgment. Tasks involve the handling of confidential information and managing complex scheduling of a senior executive. S/he understands implications of work and makes recommendations for solutions. S/he determines methods and procedures on new assignments.
The Client Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) is an NIH- and Client-funded program that spans the four Client health science schools and collaborating affiliates. Its mission is to create a comprehensive, integrated academic home that promotes research and education in clinical and translational science at Client, at affiliated institutions, and in participating communities. Supported by an NIH award and other institutional grants, CTSI has been a leader of innovation in clinical and translational research for more than 10 years.
Common problems solved by the employee:
· Identify an acceptable date, time, and location for an important meeting that requires the attendance of several high level faculty members and administrators who have multiple scheduling conflicts.
· Cancel or reschedule a meeting for a pressing need for the AVC-CTR. To do so, the incumbent must be fully aware, knowledgeable, and conversant in issues and activities involving the AVC-CTR, which includes faculty, students, administrator, state and national officials, international scholars and industry executives.
· Make adjustments to a travel itinerary in order to account for a flight delay or unexpected circumstance.
Less frequent and more complex problems solved by the employee:
· Make alternative arrangements in the event of a last minute cancellation by the caterer for an important meeting that cannot be rescheduled.
· Although it does not happen often, it will be the Assistant's job to protect the AVC-CTR (and other senior staff) from difficult, sometimes aggressive, faculty and staff. With professionalism and tact, the Assistant must be ready to handle angry patients, disgruntled faculty, and belligerent staff in a way that provides compassion and a sound boundary while re-routing them or de-escalating the situation quickly.
Problems/situations that are referred to this employee's supervisor:
· Spotting politically sensitive issues and apprising AVC-CTR of the situation including actions that would require deviations from UC policy/procedure
· Determining the budget for an event sponsored by the AVC-CTR.
Apply by creating/using an account