Search for More Jobs
Forward this job to a friend
Apply by email without Registering
Apply by creating/using account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
Job Description: The Staff Engineer will provide project management support to the project managers and may be assigned smaller projects to manage at the discretion of the senior project manager. Participate in the development and implementation of project management process improvements across the company.
Coordinate communication and exchange of information between the project manager, permitting, resource recovery, environmental, project control, engineering, procurement, construction and contractors. Coordinate all internal and external communication relative to project on behalf of the project managers.
Assist in the development of project schedule and estimates resource and material requirements; maintain respective planning and scheduling updates throughout the life of the project.
Work closely with project manager to prepare reports detailing project costs, progress, risks and opportunities for review by senior management.
Provide support to coordinate quality program requirements and adhere to company standards, procedures and safety programs.
The successful candidate will achieve the desired results of the DP&C (Delivery Projects & Construction) organization through the strict adherence of the DP&C Process and Procedures, Client Standards and the use of Client Values and Behavioral Standards, sound management practice, skills and a total commitment to teamwork. The candidate shall support DP&C in accomplishing the desired scorecard results and ensure the quality and quantity of work performed is in compliance with Company standards and procedures, safe work practices, and government laws and regulations. Focuses on measurement of results and familiarity with the use of a balanced scorecard methodology.
Major duties and responsibilities (include and are not limited to):
• Solves straightforward project management problems; analyzes possible solutions and assesses each using standard procedures. Assist other project managers & teams in project tracking & control (e.g. CPM schedule, cost, resources) collecting individual project status information & developing project updates for management review.
• Plan and coordinate various aspects of the project life cycle. Prepare and maintain project management records and documentation as required. Work with Project Coordinator (License & Permitting) to obtain regulatory and municipal permits as required.
• Provide the necessary support as outlined in DP&C Project Management (PM) Playbook (e.g. project charter, project scope document, project execution plan, project close out report, etc.).
• May serve as Project Manager on smaller projects and take a lead role on straightforward projects. Applies team effectiveness skills; contributes to the achievement of team goals.
• Explains information and persuades others in straightforward situations. Collaborate with the project team to implement and control the project (e.g. Weekly status report, project sponsor updates, and team communications).
• Responds to standard and non-standard requests from customers; investigates with assistance from project managers as needed. Works with guidance from the team to assess and identify solutions to standard and non-standard requests.
• Perform straightforward project management analyses to apply specific skills and knowledge to meet project requirements.
• Develop business cases for small projects/programs and relate budgetary documents. Monitor and control costs within own work and project budget.
• Manage small project/process teams including coordination of resources outside of own area using best practices.
• Support project managers with project start-up activities including but not limited to:
o Setting up necessary date storage procedures.
o Assisting in development of Project Work Breakdown Structures (WBS).
o Assisting in development of Project budgets.
o Assist in the development of Project schedules.
o Assist in development of the Project Management Plan.
• Provide project execution and control support to project managers including but not limited to:
o Assist with development of monthly project reports.
o Maintain project budgets and provide periodic status to the project manager.
o Reviewing time, expense and accounting reports for accuracy, reviewing subcontractor invoices, maintaining budget tracking information, and see that invoices are prepared according to corporate and client specifications.
o Support the maintenance of the project schedules and provide status of actual vs. plan.
o Track outstanding project receivables and when necessary assist project managers to research and resolve issues related to payment of invoices,
o Enter project-related data into corporate accounting and project management systems (e.g., SAP, Oracle, MS SharePoint, etc.).
• Work with project managers to track execution of work plans, including tracking project deliverable dates and issuing reminders to team members when appropriate.
• Assist project managers with effective facilitation of team and client meetings, including preparing agendas, taking minutes, tracking action items, and proactively following up on action items.
• Provide project closure support to project managers including but not limited to supporting the PM with ensuring project team member evaluations are performed.
• Draft project description for future projects.
• Archiving project documents according to local procedures.
• Ensures compliance to regulatory guidelines, procedures and DP&C safety policies.
• Actively support and implement initiatives which support Inclusion & Diversity.
• Candidate must foster an inclusive work environment and respect all aspects of diversity.
• Successful candidate must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices.
• As an employee of Client, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
• Client is proud to be an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
The most successful candidate will possess many of the following:
• In-depth knowledge and relevant experience in all aspects of engineering, project management and knowledge of electrical construction operations.
• Knowledge of Client organizational structure and the functions and responsibilities of the various engineering, operating and commercial departments.
• Knowledge and understanding of construction methods, equipment, materials management, accounting, budgeting, cost control, planning, scheduling and estimating.
• Knowledge and understanding of corporate goals, policies and procedures.
• Detailed knowledge and understanding of Client electric system.
• Demonstrates openness to change
• Demonstrates a strong commitment to the Safety Health Environmental (SHE) agenda through exemplary personal conduct; demonstrates that all reasonable precautions have been taken to protect staff, contractors and members of the public; and promotes development of a proactive SHE approach within your team.
• Exhibit high personal standards of commitment and integrity.
• Must have demonstrated project management experience as a project engineer with some assigned project team responsibilities, particularly supporting project managers in the successful delivery of projects.
• Technical and/or project management experience in a construction environment, or electric utility experience including project management experience in electrical Transmission or Distribution is preferred.
• Ability to understand and communicate the link of project activities to business strategy. Must have some skills in the use of project management methodology, tools, such as, Microsoft Project, Primavera and be knowledgeable in the use of other project management tools and techniques. Must possess strong written and verbal skills with the ability to create and deliver effective project reports and presentations. Must communicate well with all project stakeholders.
Required Education, Competencies and Skills
• Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Power, prefer a Master of Engineering and minor in Management, plus 2 years’ experience performing project management related functions.
• 2-3 years’ experience in Engineering, Construction, Project Management, T&D Operations or related field.
• Experience using Microsoft Office Suite, P6 and MS Project in a business/professional capacity.
• Ability to work well with all project stakeholders and should have complete grasp of PMI PMBOK fundamentals.
• Knowledge and experience using SAP (PRs/POs, invoices, budgets, etc.) for project financial management.
• Detail oriented and highly organized
• Reports to : Project Manager
• Employees: N/A
• O & M Expense: N/A.
• Capital Expenditure: N/A
• Work assignments cover all Client service territory
Please submit candidates at market rates
MSP Contact: MN
Apply by creating/using account