Search for More Jobs
Forward job to a friend
Apply without Registering
Apply by creating/using an account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
Ceramic Coating Development Technician
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
• Need 40h/week, Monday through Friday with flexible hours that include at least the core hours of 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
Scope of Position (i.e. projects involved with and role within group):
This position is part of CET Development group in the Sullivan Park facility. The focus of this position is to support scientists in executing experiments, mostly in the areas of applying washcoating to substrates/filters and characterizing coated ceramic ware. Uses the principles and theories of science, engineering, and mathematics to provide technical support to scientists involved in materials development related to catalyst formulations and coating processes. Works on assignments that are moderately complex in nature where judgment is required in resolving problems and making routine recommendations. Normally receives minimal instruction on routine work and specific instruction on new requirements, analysis, or processes.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Execution of experiment plans including:
o Preparing ceramic material based slurries
o Characterization of slurry using standard rheological techniques
o Application of slurry on ceramic bodies using various coating techniques
o Thermal processing of ceramic bodies after coating
• Working with other technicians and service groups to:
o Submit raw materials for characterization or processing and track results
o Prepare ware for and submit ware for characterization and report results
o Submit ware for internal performance testing and report results
• Documentation of results in MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
• Verbal and email communication of results to supervisor, requestor, or project teams
Education and Experience (minimum required for consideration)
• AS or AAS Chemical, Materials, or Equivalent and 1+ year in lab environment, engineering field, or internships
• Or +10 years working in a lab or manufacturing environment, preferably with experience in ceramic technologies.
Desired Skills (These are skills that would be nice for candidates to possess)
• Experience working with ceramic materials and especially slurry formulation, rheology, and coating application processes
• Knowledge of ceramic manufacturing
• Sample handling and tracking
• Willingness to learn and curious about materials
• Takes initiative to identify and propose remedies to problems to increase efficient work flow
• Trains new personnel as to established procedures
• Experience with lab equipment such as load frames (Instron, MTS, Zwick) and associated sensors such as load cells, extensometers.
• Experience with machine vision systems or image processing and measurements.
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership)
• Works well in a team environment
• Flexible to changing work requirements
• Strong communication skills (both written and oral)
• Works across boundaries to optimize efficiency and effectiveness of the team
• Customer focused
• Takes responsibility for self and team for safety
• Honest and open, with high integrity
Required Skills (These are skills that candidates MUST possess)
• Mechanical aptitude to maintain and troubleshoot process equipment
• Ability to manipulate coating fixtures weighing up to 25-40 pounds
• Data analysis using Excel or other software.
• Implements standard procedures and proposes modifications to improve work flow
• Rigorous in adhering to processes and pays attention to details
• Gathers information independently using established and well-defined procedures.
• Strong problem-solving skills, but obtains supervisory input to resolve out of the ordinary types of problems
• Works safely and follows all safety practices
• Able to organize and maintain labs
• Able to work comfortably within a team environment
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
Apply by creating/using an account