Search for More Jobs
Forward job to a friend
Apply without Registering
Apply by creating/using an account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
Develops and applies advanced hardware design methods, theories and research techniques in the investigation and solution of complex and advanced technical problems. Plans, conducts, technically directs and evaluates projects or major phases of significant projects, coordinating the efforts of engineers and technical support staff.
The following reflects management's definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
• Diagnoses complex performance issues in existing products and makes improvements or modifications to produce desired results.
• Conducts independent technical investigations of considerable complexity to improve system performance or solve difficult system requirements issues.
• Analyzes, develops, and recommends design approaches to meet production requirements for complex systems on new or improved products and/or processes.
• Plans, conducts, and technically directs projects or phases of projects and may coordinate the efforts of technical support personnel as required.
• Interfaces with and evaluates vendor capabilities to provide required products or services.
• Provides technical consultation to other organizations.
• Reviews literature, patents, and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
• Is a member of the bid and proposal team and helps define system configuration and cost estimation for recurring and non-recurring hours and direct costs. Provides concepts of the system using CAD software.
• As program lead ME, meets with the project engineers and other key individuals associated with the project to determine the schedule status and scope of the project.
• Assists in generating the mechanical requirements flow-down
• Works with systems engineering to conduct system level analyses prior to the Preliminary Design Review.
• Develops conceptual designs to be presented internally for a peer review before they are presented at the Preliminary design review. Takes into consideration the critical design risks and technical challenges.
• Using FEA or CAE tools, provides detailed analyses of components and/or subsystems in order to meet system requirements. These are presented at the Critical Design Review.
• Completes detail design and BOM structure, including selection of off-the-shelf mechanical components as well as custom fabricated parts.
• Researches and selects materials, coordinates vendor outsourcing, and works with design consultants as needed.
• Provides drafting and manufacturing documentation in order to release the design to the production floor.
• For critical subsystems, prepares design verification.
• Designs tooling and the use of test equipment as deemed necessary.
• Supports manufacturing and procurement with engineering change orders.
• Works with Quality department to assess non-conforming material reports.
BSME (Masters preferred) or equivalent training/experience.
12 years of related experience with B.S. Degree; 10 years with M.S. Degree.
• Extensive SolidWorks modeling and drafting experience.
• Advanced knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
• Broad scope product design knowledge.
• Knowledge of manufacturing methods.
• Knowledge of gear train and motor design.
• Understanding of machine design and theory of mechanisms.
• Experienced in thermal design considerations.
• Experience using MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Mathcad, TK Solver, Matlab.
• Finite element analysis using Cosmos Works or ANSYS preferred.
• Advanced materials selection knowledge.
• Knowledge of non-linear finite element (FE) stress modeling.
• Electronics packaging knowledge.
• Advanced skills in shock and vibration analysis, design for fatigue and DEM reviewer.
• Broad mechanical engineering background that balances design, analysis, and hands-on experience developing electro-opto-mechanical assemblies.
• Experience designing and analyzing opto-mechanical systems preferred.
• Experience mounting small ( 1-2”) and large (5-16”) reflective and refractive optics preferred.
• Experience analyzing optical stress and strain due to structural, dynamic and thermal loads preferred.
• Experience with precision actuation and positioning of optical assemblies preferred.
• Must be a US Citizen or US Person as defined by ITAR
Apply by creating/using an account