Search for More Jobs
Forward this job to a friend
Apply by email without Registering
Apply by creating/using account
Please enter your registered email address, and we'll email you a link to reset your password right away.
Senior Unix Engineer
The candidate will be responsible for running and maintaining the Linux, Network, Storage and Virtualization hardware and software assets in these labs, installing, configuring, administering and optimizing services for the benefit of our key clients, as well as working on brand-new technologies and concepts to support research and engineering groups.
The candidate will be liaising working with global engineering and operations teams. The work would involve working across a broad range of technologies, willingness to dive into unfamiliar technologies rather than any specific niche.
The role requires solid and demonstrable experience in complex enterprise computing environments, deep systems level understanding and technical skills, strong market and ecosystem technology awareness, a great appetite to master new technologies, and excellent communication skills:
Primary role and responsibilities include support for Unix, and Virtualization along with network, and storage running on diversified hardware, including daily administrative functions, diagnosing and resolving issues, doing installations, configurations and automation.
Working with new and alternate Linux distros and open-source technologies — e.g. CentOS, CoreOS,
Open stack —as needed to support innovation, research and evaluation activities
Maintaining accurate and updated run-book operational documentation on all technologies used, to allow incoming engineering and operations staff to understand how to operate the technology, and contrasting to existing production technology solutions Offset hours or weekend support as needed
As this role is very technical and requires a high degree of complex stakeholder management, the skills of the individual are paramount to the success of the role. The ideal candidate will have a deep technical background, with an understanding of the industry, and skills in the development of infrastructure strategies in an environment that may often have conflicting business and technical requirements.
Required Technical Skills (all necessary)
· 10 years of expert level experience with Linux RHEL kernel and Driver level performance and tuning, Hardware Architecture including disk, nic, hba, cpu, memory and OS certification including vcs clustering, volume management, file systems, configuring networks and storage services
· 5 years of strong programming experience developing infrastructure applications using Python, Perl.
· 5 years of virtualization experience using esxi, networking and san storage
· 5 years of hands-on Experience in the areas of innovation, research, evaluation and implementation of next generation, open-source, and cloud based technologies, tools.
· 2-3 years Project management experience to lead and manage independently.
· 2-3 years Data Center management experience DCIM, ITAM, IMAC, Logistics and Asset life-cycle management.
· Strong analytical, diagnosing, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills, including skills to take on new technologies and to work with El SME as necessary
· Experience with End user client operations support, Ticketing systems, change management processes and providing general, project and engagement specific end-user support
· Intermediate level experience supporting SAN storage, windows servers/desktops and Networking.
Apply by creating/using account